SACRAMENTO, CA – On Wednesday, February 23 at 5:30 pm PT, the California Charter Schools Association (CCSA) will host an online gathering of friends and former colleagues of the late state senator Gary K. Hart, celebrating a legacy that has benefitted more than eight million K-12 public students by creating new public education options for parents across California.
“Thirty years ago, Senator Hart forever changed our state’s public education system by authoring and passing the 1992 Charter Schools Act,” said Myrna Castrejón, California Charter Schools Association President and CEO. “His legislation made California the second state in the nation to establish charter public schools and created a movement that has strengthened public education for generations especially for students in underserved communities.”
CCSA and charter public schools across California will celebrate three decades of the charter public school movement this year with a months-long campaign: Charters at 30: Reimagining Public Education. Anniversary events can be found online through a newly created website being launched on Wednesday, Chartersat30.org, that highlights key milestones of the charter sector and will serve as an online community center where the public can also record and post video testimonials of how charters impacted them and their families. The statewide celebration will conclude in September at the anniversary of the passage of the Charter Schools Act.
- Myrna Castrejón, CCSA President and CEO
- Sue Burr, former Executive Director, State Board of Education
- Eric Premack, Founding Director, Charter Schools Development Center
- Nina Rees, President and CEO, National Alliance for Public Charter Schools
- Ember Reichgott Junge, Author of 1st charter school law, former Minnesota senator
- Shannon Doss, Green Dot Animo South Los Angeles Charter High School, Class of 2011. Doss graduated UCLA with a BA in Sociology and African American Studies, and from USC with a Master’s in Social Work. She is currently a school social worker at DaVinci RISE Charter School.
- Wednesday, February 23, 2022
5:30 pm Pacific Time